Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:51:28 -0700

>> Can I patch the README to tell developers not to use tags at all?
>
> Sure.
> Indeed tags are not used in elpa.git and nongnu.git.
>
> Of course, you can still use tags there if you want, like in any
> other repository, but you're better off giving them names that include
> the relevant package's name, like `ebdb-0.7`.

Good to know! I don't suppose you know what happens when we add ELPA or
nongnu ELPA as a new remote to a repo already containing tags that will
conflict with ELPA tags? Do you know at what stage git will bark at us?
Anyway, I can probably figure this out myself, but inquiring minds on
Matrix want to know...