Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:04:34 +0200

>> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:36:28 +0200
>> Cc: wavexx@thregr.org, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> In the scenario I had in mind the *.el files (as well as the *.eln
>> files) would be installed as part of a distro's Emacs package.
>> They would live somewhere under /usr where the user has no business.

> It is strange for a Free Software project to assume the user will
> never want to modify the sources.

This is simply how distributions work. You don't modify files installed
by the package manager, because your modifications would be overwritten
with the next update of the package. This applies even to a single-user
system; on multi-user systems it would also have security implications.

So, of course users can modify the sources, but they would typically
copy the *.el file to a private location (in their load-path) before
doing so.