Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 21:19:13 -0400

> Just to touch on this.  ATM we do start a native-compilation only when
> we load a .elc for which no .eln is found.  The same for the .el files
> is not enabled.  I guess the main reason is that we would loose the
> ability to step but I suspect wouldn't be the only drawback.

Also it would probably break on some corner case files that can't
be byte-compiled correctly (typically because they need other files to
be loaded before byte-compilation can be performed).

Basically, byte-compilation is *not* transparent (and it's currently
important because byte-compilation is the step where we give feedback
to the coder, so we don't want to postpone that to the moment the coder
is gone and has been replaced by the end-user who doesn't know what to
do with byte-compilation warnings/errors).

Fundamentally, .eln files are generated from .elc files (tho
currently, the code works a bit differently, which is arguably a bug,
which may(will?) bump into the above problem with .el files).

        Stefan