Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:34:10 -0400

    > > It is strange for a Free Software project to assume the user will
    > > never want to modify the sources.
    >
    > I don't think that assumption is implied by making a system-wide install
    > of a package in a location not writable by users.

    That's not what I said or meant.  What I meant was that considering
    the problem non-existent because this is how distros install the Lisp
    files sounds strange to me, because it assumes no user will ever want
    to modify these files enough to make them writable.  IOW, the
    assumption that bothered me was that no one will ever want to modify
    those files, e.g., to fix some bug or add a feature.

Distros must provide a way to download the sources.  You could
download the sources into your home directory, make your modified
versions, and put them in a directory in load-path.

Does this solve the problem, in practical terms?