Re: New Context Menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:51:37 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: spacibba@aol.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 10:05:12 +0300
>
> >> down-mouse-3 is used for convenience - you need only one click
> >> to select a menu item, not two.
> >
> > But that's different from other popup menus, for example C-mouse-3 and
> > mouse-1 or mouse-3 on the mode-line's major/minor mode parts.
>
> All menus were always bound to down-events
> C-down-mouse-1, S-down-mouse-1, C-down-mouse-2, C-down-mouse-3:

I'm talking about the _behavior_, not about the bindings.  The
behavior in the other cases is that releasing the mouse button doesn't
pop down the menu in the other cases; with context menus, it does.
That is sub-optimal UI, as users who don't expect that will see the
menu flash momentarily and disappear, at least on TTY frames.  We
should fix this so the context menus behave like the other drop-down
menus we have.