Re: New Context Menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:41:48 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:26:08 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: spacibba@aol.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Does it pop down for you if you click [C-down-mouse-3] that displays
> > the local/global menu?
>
> No.  When I release the mouse button after clicking C-mouse-3, the
> menu stays displayed until I select a menu item (or dismiss the menu
> with the likes of C-g).

Btw, something's changed in this regard since Emacs 27.2.  In Emacs
27, mouse-1 and mouse-3 on the mode-line's major and minor mode names
pop up a menu that stays displayed when I release the mouse button.
In Emacs 28, these two menus pop down when the button is released.  By
contrast, C-mouse-3 in *scratch* pops up a menu that doesn't pop down
when I release the button even in Emacs 28.

I guess this has something to do with the bindings of down-mouse-N vs
mouse-N, and the fact that Emacs ignores the down- events when they
are not bound?