Re: New Context Menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:36:33 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:26:05 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> I don't understand how the behavior of the context menu could be
> >> different from the behavior of the old binding [C-down-mouse-3]
> >> when both have the same implementation.
> >
> >I cannot say I understand that in detail, either, but the fact is it
> >does.  Maybe it's translation from C-down-mouse-3 to C-mouse-3?
> >
> No. C-down-mouse-3 is a modified mouse event; emacs gets it but not the
> equivalent up events (C-up-mouse-3 for example) but it gets somehow the
> up-mouse-3 event.

There's no up-mouse-N events in Emacs, AFAIK.  There's only
down-mouse-N events and mouse-N events; the latter are generated when
Emacs internally sees the Nth button pressed and released.

> For example:
>
> Try C-down-mouse-3 then Release Control and after that release the mouse
> button. You will see a similar issue.

What issue is that?

When you do what you describe, Emacs doesn't generate the C-mouse-3
event because it never sees the button released with the Ctrl
modifier.  This is expected and documented.