Re: Emacs development...

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:08:17 +0200

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 16:50:31 +0900 Jean-Christophe Helary
<lists@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>> On Aug 21, 2021, at 16:16, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>>
>> Hi Jean-Christophe,
>>
>>> Right now, I use C-h f to find the function definitions and move
>>> around the code.
>>
>> That, and also M-. on a function call or variable will bring you to its
>> definition.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sorry for this very basic question, what's the best way to navigate back to
> where I was ?

Maybe this (which should probably be mentioned in the doc string of
xref-find-definitions, i.e. M-.):

  M-, runs the command xref-pop-marker-stack (found in global-map), which is an
  interactive native compiled Lisp function in ‘xref.el’.

  It is bound to M-,.

  (xref-pop-marker-stack)

    Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 25.1.

  Pop back to where M-. was last invoked.

Steve Berman