Re: link info/html files from the GNU ELPA package page

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: link info/html files from the GNU ELPA package page
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 18:13:13 -0700

>> How would I go about adding html files from the :doc entry for wisi in
>> elpa/elpa-packages to https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/wisi.html> ?

I links to them, so users can read the user manuals from the ELPA
page. That also means the ELPA server needs to store the actual doc
files somewhere accessible, not just in the package tarball.

> I'm not completely sure what you mean by that, but currently the doc
> shown in `wisi.html` taken from the wisi package can only be plaintext
> (so it would show the HTML code itself rather than its rendering).

I could put the docs on the savannah home page for ada-mode and wisi (I
should do that anyway), and put links in that text to savannah.

> If at all possible, it's probably better to have a source format
> different from HTML, which we can then convert to the kind of HTML
> fragment we need.

The docs listed in ada-mode and wisi :doc have texinfo source.

>> I assume there's some script/elisp in elpa/admin that generates
>> that page?
>
> It's in `elpa-admin.el`, e.g. around `elpaa--html-make-pkg`.

Ok. So that could add a line for ada-mode:

    docs: <a href="ada-mode.html">ada-mode</a>, <a
href="gpr-mode.html">gpr-mode</a>

and for wisi:

    docs: <a href="wisi.html">wisi</a>, <a
href="wisitoken-user_guide.html">wisitoken-user_guide</a>

Instead of just the file name, maybe we could pull the doc title from
the texinfo file somehow?

And somewhere in elpaa--make-one-package it would have to save the doc
files somewhere, instead of deleting them after building the tarball.

--
-- Stephe