Re: Repeat undo-only is not working

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Repeat undo-only is not working
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:40:13 +0300

>> Sorry, this part of the feature is still unpolished.
>> The intention was to disallow repeating of undo with
>> the key sequence `C-/ u', but allow only with `C-x u u'.
>> Maybe this was a wrong idea?  Do you think it should be
>> possible to type `C-/' to initiate the repeating sequence
>> `C-/ u u u'?
>
> For what it's worth, the intention matches my personal expectation. I'd be
> pretty surprised if a key sequence with a single input event (e.g. `C-/')
> activated a repeat-mode map. My mental model is that repeat-mode "saves"
> all but the last input event of a key sequence and then uses it as a prefix
> to the subsequently-pressed keys.
>
> Perhaps it should be possible to support the behavior in the original post,
> but I'm happy with how things are now.

So there is a need to distinguish between these cases

  C-/ --- u u u
  C-x u --- u u

("---" visually separates the initial and repeating sequence)
and allow their customization.  Maybe a new variable is sufficient
that will inhibit checking that the last character exists in repeat-map.

But what to do if the user wants to disable C-/ --- u u u,
but still wants to use for gdb-step such sequence
C-x C-a C-n --- n n n n where repeat-map has no C-n?