Re: xterm [menu] key definition

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: xterm [menu] key definition
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:04:33 +0200

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 08:38:46AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 06:05:46PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I think that definitively "\e[29~" may be bound to [menu] in
> xterm. Somehow confirmed by the xterm maintainer in an email:
>
> "in a quick check the key which I guessed is "menu" (between the Windows
> key and the Ctrl key on the right-side of my keyboard) does send ^[[29~
> and xev says that's "Menu""

I'm sorry but I don't understand this.  Maybe I'm just missing some of
the context in your email exchange, but the way it's written above gives
the impression that something external to xterm decides which byte
sequence to send when the `menu` or `print` key are used, whereas this
decision is made by xterm (partly influenced by things like
X resource settings).

The latter was my point: it's exactly xterm (or whatever X terminal
application you are using) which (possibly) converts X events to
escape sequences.

In the case of xterm this can be configured via X resources.

The idea is to be compatible with whatever xterm does by default right?
When there is not configuration either in xresources or in init.el.

FWIW, in my environment, I have a key labeled `PrtSc` which `xev` says
sends a `Print` event to X11, which `emacs` says sends a `print` event,
and which `emacs --nw` running inside `xterm` doesn't receive at all
(i.e. my `xterm` doesn't send any bytes in response to it).

Yes, that corresponds to my findings. I guess the "Print" key was not
a thing whenever the X resources for xterm were set up and nobody has
bothered to change them in the mean time.

Cheers
- t