Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:03:23 -0400

> Any thoughts of enabling non gnu elpa, and package.el to deal with packages
> in a
> similar fashon as AUR and I guess similar solutions from other distros. What I
> think of is that people could submit just build recipes into gnu elpa, without
> tar-ed sources. Just the URLs or sources and the way to fetch/build and
> install
> a package. Isn't it what el-get already does?

I think you're describing what we're already doing with NonGNU ELPA.
But there are enough weird assumptions above that I'm not
completely sure.  E.g. you talk about "tar-ed sources", but none of GNU
ELPA nor NonGNU ELPA have worked from "tar-ed sources", except maybe for
the very first few months of GNU ELPA.

> I guess anyone can clone "nelpa" and add someone elses package, but I am not
> sure
> how polite that would be considered. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is just me,
> but
> I have a feeling that it is a custom practice for elpa/nelpa/melpa that
> authors
> themselves sumbit packages.

Philip Kaludercic and I both added various packages for which we're not
the author/maintainer.  This is fine.  The maintainers need to be
involved, tho, for all kinds of reasons, including to avoid that they
break the package's spec.

        Stefan