Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Daniel Fleischer
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:07:50 +0300

Tim Cross [2021-08-27 Fri 11:01]  *wrote*:

> I'm not sure this is true. I think virtually all developers are forced
> to suffer email, but a gorwing number don't use it. Often, all the
> discussions, notifications, comments etc are actually consumed via a
> mobile 'app'. For these users, logging into their inbox is frustrating
> and inconvenient because their inbox is full of pointless and old
> messages/notifications/alerts they have already seen/received via other
> channels. For these users, the primary reason they have an email address
> is to have something to put into the 'login' box for web services they
> use. Telling these users to use email to submit a patch is very similar
> to me being told when I started using email that I had to send in a hard
> copy via snail mail.

It's a very intersting point about what email represent to different
people that arising from this discussion. I'm half your age and use
email for 2 reasons:

1. It's an identify for today's web. As such, it's becoming the main
   tool for tracking (especially as cookies phase out), so I use
   multiple boxes and regard them is disposable and spam-infected.

2. Receiving official documents from institutions.

I don't talk to family, friends or coworkers via mail. Personally, I
think it's old, not secure or private by default, very inconsistent
(HTML rendering is arbitrary vs. text, multiple MUA) and just can't
imagine using it as a software engineering tool.

*Daniel Fleischer*