Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:51:53 +0200

On 28 August 2021 11:24:12 CEST, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:00:36 +0200
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> CC: dgutov@yandex.ru, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, philipk@posteo.net,
>>  danflscr@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> >I think these are basically the various important aspects of the PR
>> >Web-based workflow.
>>
>> If that's the case I'd say it is covered.
>
>Dmitry seems to think otherwise, and he gave examples of such
>features, to which you agreed.

I agreed on some of it yes, and demonstrated where he was wrong. The things I
noted as missing it mostly different:
- editing a comment require a new email
- subsequent iterations on a patch isn't squashed in the web UI

The last one may be a bummer, but not sure if it is. In my opinion this
shouldn't tester contributions, but who knows.

>> But it is different. And in my experience people have a hard time with
>> different. But if inching a little closer to what GitHub does it our goal,
>> then I'd say SourceHut covers it. If making it more accessible to webfolks
>> is the goal, we will get more than halfway. Is that enough? No idea.
>
>We need to established whether it's enough, and if it isn't, either
>look for a better alternative, or somehow make sure SourceHut gets
>closer.

Drew is very responsive, and I think getting input on what a real, old Foss
projects needs would be important. Can't speak on his behalf though