Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:59:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> If a contributor _wants_ to have the package in ELPA, that's his/her
> prerogative, which should be respected.  But in this particular case
> the contributor asked about our preferences, and that was what my
> response was about.

It's my preference for some language features, too.  Having those
available out of the box is convenient (and allows for easier
integration with the rest of Emacs).

It's pretty embarrassing that we don't have a built-in mode for PHP, for
instance (or at least it was back when PHP was popular).

But it depends on the language.  I think having the C# mode in ELPA is
fine, and there isn't much to gain in having it in Emacs core.