Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages proposal: tree-sitter

From: Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages proposal: tree-sitter
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:52:37 +0700

> I'd be much happier if you could coordinate with Yuan Fu
> <casouri@gmail.com>, who works on integrating TS into the Emacs core.

That's a good idea. I'll start by reviewing that work when I have time.

> This stuff should IMO be in core, not in 3rd-party packages, let alone
> on nonGNU ELPA.

As I've already said before, I don't see this as an "either or" situation. I
want tree-sitter to be integrated into Emacs core too, eventually. Seems like we
are still a long way from there, though. These packages already work, and are
used by many people.

> I guess I should have reached out sooner, communicating that I’m about to do
> it, but on the other hand I don’t want to just come in and talk about what
> I’m going to do and such and such, before I actually did anything. And my
> general understanding is that there aren’t much interest in integrating
> tree-sitter into the C core. So...

Great initiative! To clarify, again: I wanted tree-sitter to be integrated into
Emacs core, and proposed the dynamic-module-based approach as an interim
solution that would better facilitate experimentation while we work towards
that end goal. That has worked out reasonably well. When Emacs core has
tree-sitter integrated, these packages can hopefully be deprecated.

> > Can you tell which functionality is missing from Yuan Fu's work that
> > is supported by those 3 packages?  Can that functionality be added to
> > Yuan Fu's code?
>
> The code is at https://github.com/casouri/emacs, in the “ts” branch. The main
> things to look at are src/tree-sitter.c, lisp/tree-sitter.el, and
> doc/lispref/parsing.texi.
>
> There is an on-going discussion about tree-sitter API in Emacs, starting at
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-08/msg00246.html

Thanks, I'll check it out. In the meantime, please feel free to study the
packages, borrow the code/ideas/design decisions, and ask questions about them,
or about tree-sitter in general.

Thanks,
--
Tuấn-Anh Nguyễn