Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:08:37 +0200

"Drew DeVault" <sir@cmpwn.com> writes:

> Here is a video of the sourcehut equivalent of the github/lab
> pull/merge-request flow:
>
> https://spacepub.space/videos/watch/ad258d23-0ac6-488c-83fc-2bacf578de3a

Thanks for the video.  I think the Web workflow is more or less what
people used to GitHub or Gitlab would expect.

For people that don't want to use the Web interface, the usage of git
send-mail may pose some problems.  In CONTRIBUTE there is a note that
says that patch attachments are preferred to git send-mail for some
reasons:

- It delivers patches in the correct and easily-recognizable format, and
  in a more reliable way. (I'm not sure what this means.)

- Makes the job of applying the patches easier and less error-prone.
  (Perhaps this just requires learning a new way to work?).

- Allows sending patches whose author is someone other than the email
  sender. (I think this is already supported: git config --global
  user.email would set the author's email, and git config --global
  sendemail.from, or passing the --from=<address> option to git
  send-mail, would set the sender's email address.)

But even if patch attachments are not supported by sourcehut, I think
support for image attachments is at least required for some issues.