Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew DeVault
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:32:55 +0200

On Sat Aug 28, 2021 at 8:08 PM CEST, Daniel Martín wrote:
> - It delivers patches in the correct and easily-recognizable format, and
> in a more reliable way. (I'm not sure what this means.)

Reliability is the main reason for suggesting git send-email :) It does
it for you, and does it correctly.

> - Makes the job of applying the patches easier and less error-prone.
> (Perhaps this just requires learning a new way to work?).

Depends, I suppose.

> - Allows sending patches whose author is someone other than the email
> sender. (I think this is already supported: git config --global
> user.email would set the author's email, and git config --global
> sendemail.from, or passing the --from=<address> option to git
> send-mail, would set the sender's email address.)

This just werks by default with git send-email, it automatically adds
the author.

> But even if patch attachments are not supported by sourcehut, I think
> support for image attachments is at least required for some issues.

Yeah, we can expand the attachments support for sure.

Generally I understand the desire for some projects to have patch
attachments as their workflow, but I find that every user who is
instructed on git send-email (perhaps by [0]) finds it much better.

[0] https://git-send-email.io