Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 01:27:39 +0300

On 29.08.2021 10:42, Drew DeVault wrote:
On Sun Aug 29, 2021 at 9:38 AM CEST, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Rebasing is not just intimidating, it has real problems as well. One
problem that particularly bothers us is that it could, in some
circumstances, cause the same commit to be present more than once.

I find a hard requirement to use rebase to be user-unfriendly, because
some of us simply don't want to rebase, for reasons of preserving the
original history of the development. Is rebasing really a requirement
in SourceHut?
No, it's not a requirement. It's just something I think is a good idea.

When you say it's not a requirement, how does the alternative work?

Suppose I have a feature branch scratch/exciting-new-feature.

And it has a number of existing commits A, B, C, where I did some work on said feature.

Then I do a merge from master, creating a merge commit M which resolves a conflict. It also pulls commits M1 and M2 from master into the branch, both of which have a later creation date than A.

Then I add commits D and E with some subsequent work.

What do I do next, to submit the new version of the code?

If I try to submit that branch's contents from the web UI, and I need to select all the commits which include the work:

- Does the Prepare Patchset UI show commits M1 and M2? What happens if they get selected (residing chronologically between A and E)?

- Does the Prepare Patchset UI show the merge commit M? If yes, what happens with it later if the patchset gets approved? Does it turn into a "real" merge commit?