Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:01:17 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:00:08 +0200
>
> So does that mean that windows check is not needed in add_driver_options as
> well?

I wouldn't delete it from there.  On Windows, we assume without
checking that gcc_jit_context_add_command_line_option exists, because
(a) Windows versions of libgccjit appeared only in GCC versions that
already supported that, and (b) without that native-compilation could
produce code that crashes on Windows.

IOW, this is an internal implementation detail, a workaround for a
nasty problem.  But for a general-purpose text that will cause no
disaster if it fails, I'd like not to use tricky conditionals that
need long explanations.