Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compiler - passing command line options to C compiler
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 19:45:06 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: akrl@sdf.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 16:23:21 +0200
>
> > Almost there: the commit log message should mention the files and
> > functions where you made the changes.  Look at the other log messages
> > in git, and you will see the difference (feel free to ask if still
> > unclear).
> >
> > Thanks for working on this.
>
> See if this is ok. I don't know how to get in ` into git message. My bash is
> complaining, but I see in some git log that Lars had quoted some names with
> `'.
>
> Found also one check for WINDOWS I forgott to remove.
>
> See if this one is ok:
> * lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el: add user option 'native-comp-compiler-options'
> and rename 'native-comp-driver-options' to 'native-comp-backend-options'
> with changes needed to implement the feature and the rename.
>
> * list/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: adapt to the change in comp.el.
>
> * src/comp.c: add support to implement 'native-comp-compiler-options' and
> the rename of driver options to backend options.

This part should look like this:

  * lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el ('native-comp-compiler-options): New option.
  (native-comp-driver-options): Rename to 'native-comp-backend-options'.
  * list/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el: All users of 'native-comp-driver-options'
  changed.

  * src/comp.c (Fcomp_native_backend_options_effective_p): Renamed
  from 'Fcomp_native_driver_options_effective_p'; all callers changed.
  (Fcomp_native_compiler_options_effective_p): New function.
  (add_driver_options): Remove WINDOWSNT condition.
  (add_compiler_options): New function.
  (Fcomp__compile_ctxt_to_file): Call 'add_compiler_options'.

IOW, you need to list not only the files, but also the functions and
global variables that you change.

This will be much easier if you use "C-x 4 a" or "C-c C-d" (the latter
in the VC log buffer): they will generate the skeleton with file name
and function name for you, so you need just add the description of the
change itself, what's after the colon.

(I can fix the log message for you this time, if you are exhausted ;-)