Re: Making a key binding work in minibuffer editing.

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Making a key binding work in minibuffer editing.
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 17:45:23 +0200

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:43:22 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> Howdy! So I'm reasonably happy with the (kludgy) way I've handled my ad hoc
> input method, but it doesn't work inside minibuffers because my magic keypress
> is handed by a global keymap entry and that doesn't seem to cover the
> minibuffer:
>
> (define-key (current-global-map) (kbd "<f19>")
>   (lambda (n)
>     (interactive "p")
>     (setq unread-input-method-events
>           (append unread-input-method-events '(?¤)))))
>
> Is there a keymap I can add this to which will also cover editing in
> minibuffers, so I can use my weird input method in isearch and that sort of
> thing as well?

I'm don't know about a keymap per se, but maybe this will do:

  read-multilingual-string is a compiled Lisp function in
  ‘<emacs>/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el’.

  (read-multilingual-string PROMPT &optional INITIAL-INPUT INPUT-METHOD)

  Read a multilingual string from minibuffer, prompting with string PROMPT.
  The input method selected last time is activated in minibuffer.
  If optional second argument INITIAL-INPUT is non-nil, insert it in the
  minibuffer initially.
  Optional 3rd argument INPUT-METHOD specifies the input method to be activated
  instead of the one selected last time.  It is a symbol or a string.

Steve Berman