Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 13:26:13 +0800

Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs@gmail.com> writes:

> If whatever is popular equals better, then Emacs would have been rewritten
> in Java already, no wait, Ruby, no actually Python, sorry I meant
> Javascript.

> A lot of things are familiar to a lot of people, but familiarity is
> orthogonal to quality.

Reducto ad absurdum? Of course, rewriting Emacs using different language
is not a good idea if the justification is merely the language
popularity. However, much smaller changes can be reverted if they do not
prove themselves useful.

Can Emacs have "experimental" and "stable" dev branches with the former
being more open to "popular" changes? Then, people who wish a more
"popular" approach can use the experimental branch without disturbing
more conservative users. If features in experimental branch prove their
usefulness and quality, they can be moved to the stable branch.

Best,
Ihor