Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forg

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, Gitlab, ect)?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 19:24:21 +0800

> Nowadays, the large software projects often conduct the development on
> the workflow supplied by git  forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab,
> etc.). But it seems that Emacs is still developed directly on git, as
> described here [1], which makes maintaining GNU Emacs development a
> lot of extra work.

GitHub, Bitbucket and GitLab require their users to run non-free
software, which already disqualifies them for the development of GNU
software.

There was recently a discussion (perhaps it is still in progress? I
don't know) about moving to SourceHut, but I don't think it's gone
anywhere.  The problem seems to be that the present system exists and
works, while nobody has sat down and completed the work required to
migrate to a new one.  Would you like to volunteer? :D