RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 14:58:56 +0000

> >> `C-x` for "Cut" has been standard for a lot more than a decade.
> > Yes, and?
>
> So it's not just a passing fad that may change again any time now.
> [ Other than the general disappearance of keyboards, or maybe a move to
>   some other modifier, as in macOS ]
>
> > Anyway, I won't argue about `C-x' (or `C-w').
>
> And yet you did.

No, I really didn't.  I spoke to the meaning of
"faux amis".

I'm saying nothing about `C-x', because I don't
see that changing - as I said:

  I don't see Emacs moving `C-x'

(Do you, really?)

If it does, then I likely won't have a problem
with that change, because the change would have
to (somehow) deal with the current uses of
prefix key `C-x', as well as (likely) prefix
key `C-c', and key `C-v'.
___

As for how the discord between Emacs bindings
for these things and those of the outside world
affects me (I use lots of apps outside Emacs,
including the email client I'm using now):

I'm not bothered by accidentally using `C-x',
`C-c', or `C-v' in Emacs when mechanically
trying to cut, copy, or paste.  Why?  Because
those keys in Emacs are benign.  The first two
are prefix keys, so I notice quickly enough
what I did accidentally.  And the third just
scrolls a page.  All are easy to get past.

(Yes, those could well be more problematic
for a new Emacs user.  I'm speaking for myself
here.)

But where I do get a little bothered is in
the other direction - when I accidentally use
`M-w' (not `C-w') in an app like my email
client - client that tries to forward the
email I'm writing.