Re: Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?

From: Simon Pugnet
Subject: Re: Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 17:33:51 +0200

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> My opinion is that we shouldn't expect an input from the user; the user
> is an Emacs-beginner and she activates the "easy-start/contemporary"
> profile and that's it.  Our goal should be (IMO) to have the user use
> Emacs for a day, and then a week and then a month.
>
> We're too much inside the Emacs paradigm so we want to introduce
> customization into the first interaction of any beginner user but I
> think it's not the right way of lowering the bar for new users who
> choose to use these profiles.

Yes that's true, sometimes it can be easy to forget what it's like to be
an absolute beginner.

> Of course the profile will be documented and hopefully the user will
> learn the meaning of the decisions made in the profile.

I think it's good to show the user what configuration is generated and
to tell them where it's saved, but it should be easy for the to click
"OK" on that and then just get on with using Emacs and not having to
think about configuration again. That way those who just want to use
Emacs will be able to do so and those who are more interested in what
else it can do will have a starting point for further customisation.