Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 21:04:39 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> I'm looking at re-organizing NEWS a bit, and I'm not sure how we prefer it.
>
> In general, I guess I also wonder if anyone will protest if I take it
> upon myself to move things around to more sensible places.

Please go ahead.  When adding NEWS-worthy things, they generally land
somewhere in the general section where they should be, not organised
further than that.  (I try to see if there's something already in NEWS
that's about the same package, and then create a sub-section for
that...  but not methodically.)

> Here are some concrete questions:
>
> - Under "Changes in Specialized Modes and Packages" things seem thrown
>   in more or less at random.  Do we prefer to order it according to
>   perceived order of importance?  Would it make sense to organize it
>   alphabetically?

I have no opinion about that.

> - Does "Tab Bars" belong under "Changes in Emacs" rather than
>   "Specialized Modes"?  It's more like a core feature to my mind, even
>   if not everyone uses it.  (I've moved "Windows" and "Frames" there
>   already.)

Yes, sounds like a "Changes in Emacs" thing, I think.

> - Under "Incompatible Editing Changes" we have several items relating
>   to specialized modes (f90-mode, nroff-mode, vc, project).  Do these
>   entries belong under "Specialized Modes and Packages"?

Uhm...  I think it makes sense to have the incompatible stuff in one
section?  It makes it easy for people who only want to know what might
have broken in their code.

> - Could we just put new headers for macOS and MS-Windows under "Emacs
>   28.1 on Non-Free Operating Systems"?  Entries now start with "On
>   macOS ..." or "On MS-Windows ...", which we could avoid.

Sounds good.

> - Under "Editing Changes" we have many things that doesn't seem like
>   they belong there.  Should they be moved?  See the list below where
>   I've marked things that we might want to move with "x".

Hm...  where would you move them to?  "Changes in Emacs"?  I think most
of the "x" things might live more comfortably there, perhaps?