Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 07:22:11 +0200

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> With other words, emacs devs already think that default options are sane. So I
> don't think that wording here should be "enable sane defaults", but "enable
> different defaults". For example enable "VSCode like defaults" or enable
> "Eclipse like defaults" or something else.

The wording "sane" might indeed come off as overly harsh on our own
history, and by association the people that chose those defaults.  I
have no doubt in my mind that they were more or less the best choices
at the time.  It's just that the world looks different now.

We don't need to bikeshed about a name before we have something more
concrete, but FWIW:

I don't like dragging other editors names into it very much, because I
don't think that captures what this is or should be about.  It makes
it sound like they have something very desirable that we don't, or
that we simply try to imitate them.  In reality, if they do better on
this or that, it is only because they had the advantage of starting
from a clean slate.  Emacs has no reason to make apologies for itself.
We can support a UI more in line with current user expectations
without reference to anyone but ourselves.