Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 15:52:42 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>>> But it's not "Different", it's rather "Familiar", as far as new users are
>>> concerned.
>> That is a different meaning to "different" indeed :). You are interpretting
>> "different" as not-familiar or unkown, why I was thinking of "different" as
>> of
>> just somethin else.
>
> I'm just looking at the profiles as something for the new users. So if we're
> picking names, tailoring them to the news user seems advantageous.
>
>> Maybe it is best just to smash together something and present it rather than
>> trying people to agree to what is to be done? Like vim-people did with evil?
>
> Sure. Please don't let me stop anyone from experimenting and creating whatever
> number of different profiles.
>
> It's better we start this process, rather than get bogged down here arguing
> about particulars.
>
>> A diffent profile could be just a bunch of settings in a file. Why not just
>> take
>> a so called contermporary setup and put it in a init file, and add a
>> customize
>> variable to let people choose it? Could that work?
>
> I was thinking themes can be a good vehicle because someone can both enable
> and
> disable a theme (if they find it doesn't suit their preference) without
> restarting Emacs.

That is true, but same can be done with a toggle button in customize?
I remember when Stefan M. proposed to use themes. Themes are just lisp,
so they can contain any lisp code, but how will it work with visual themes?
There
can be only one theme loaded at time, right? I know people are nowdays using
buffer-local themes with face redirecting, but to have a profile-theme and
visual theme it would need some hacking of them mechanism. Having just a file
called profile or something is just to write something? I don't know just
thinking loud.

> But, again, let us not have this preconception stop anyone from experimenting.

Indeed.

By the way, how much work would it be to switch C-x and M-x prefixes to C-space
and
M-space respectively. That way someone could rebind keys to resemble more of
"modern" key usage (C-o, C-x, C-v etc ). C-z would need rework in terminal. But
generally, if a prefix can be remaped automatically, it would be an easy thing
start with?