Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:45:29 +0200

8 sep. 2021 kl. 17.41 skrev Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>:

> But ELisp is also intended for end-users that want to hack together
> some quick command.  They may be completely uninterested in spending
> even a minimum of time to learn rx, and prefer instead to use the more
> standard form they already know so they can just get their job done.

New reader syntax isn't something to be added lightly. Shouldn't there be a
better reason than a belief that some people may be unwilling to learn already
existing facilities of the language, especially when those are superior to the
proposed addition?

> I'm not even sure that rx is the unequivocal first choice among
> hardcore ELisp programmers.

Their loss then. (And good to know I'm not hardcore!)

It's unfortunate that we've spent the last 50 years teaching generations of
programmers that regexps are strings and they use backslashes, to the point
that many actually believe it. Failure of education, and lack of proper tools!