Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:08:04 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>,
>   juri@linkov.net,  rudalics@gmx.at,  larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:15:59 -0400
>
> This is a typical bikeshed kind of question, so there's not much point
> getting people to argue over it.  The maintainers should make an
> executive decision on it (but they do need to come to an agreement
> among themselves ;-).

We already had this discussion, and there was a conclusion.  We
decided to use '..' as the quoting style in plain-text documents.
I've been using it everywhere since then.  The main arguments were:

  . the ` character looks ugly on many modern displays
  . the Unicode quotes are not universally supported on text-mode terminals
  . therefore '..' has the least problems

This discussion was a kind-of tangent of the dispute triggered by the
changes in how we display `foo' quoted symbols in doc strings and
echo-area messages.

If we want '..' to be highlighted in some contexts, let's change
font-lock to support that.

And please remember that we are not talking only about comments, nor
only about ELisp files.  We are talking about all kinds of plain-text
documentation: comments, Git commit log messages, NEWS, PROBLEMS, text
files in admin/notes/, etc.