Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:32:30 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

>> And please remember that we are not talking only about comments, nor
>> only about ELisp files.  We are talking about all kinds of plain-text
>> documentation: comments, Git commit log messages, NEWS, PROBLEMS, text
>> files in admin/notes/, etc.
>
> No, we are not.

I agree with using '...' in plain text files, like NEWS and PROBLEMS.

.el/.c files are not plain text files, they are source code files, and I
do not agree that we have to (or should) change the convention from
`...'  there.  At least not until we have fixed our tool chain to
respect '...'  in .el/.c files -- and if we decide to move to '...', we
should do so everywhere in those files: Both doc strings and comments.

Switching to anything new here seems to have marginal utility for such a
pervasive change, so I don't see much point.  I don't think the `
character is "ugly" -- that Markdown (for instance) uses it for similar
purposes (but as `...`) shows that it's a character that people are
comfortable with using in semi-structured non-plain-text files like
source code files.

(And when it comes to commit messages, I don't think we should have a
convention -- it just doesn't matter, and people should use whatever
they want to.)