RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:20:09 +0000

> > do not agree that we have to (or should) change the convention from
> > `...'  there.  At least not until we have fixed our tool chain to
> > respect '...'  in .el/.c files
>
> I've now made a simple change which causes symbols quoted 'like-this'
> be highlighted in Lisp files.  OK?

Not by me, FWIW.

It's not just about symbols.  We mention key bindings
in doc and comments, and those can contain space chars.
Likewise, we sometimes have other quoted char sequences
that contain space chars.

It's true that we haven't, so far, fontified things
like `C-x 4 f' in comments.  But we do fontified them
in Info and doc strings (albeit now using curly quotes).

E.g. in (elisp) `Disassembly' there's this: 'dup varset',
which is fontified, even though it contains a space char.
And in (elisp) `Keymap Basics' there's this: `C-f C-n'
which is fontified.  It would be good to do the same in
Lisp comments, IMO.

If you're really looking for something that would really
improve things - and not only for a beauty contest (but
yes, more beautiful too), then let's work on doing that.

Bring back `...', and fontify the delimited text even
when it's not a "symbol".