RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:20:41 +0000

> We did enact some changes which weren't disputed by anybody. For
> example, the display of quotes in messages, errors and Help buffers.

Those changes (to curly quotes) were disputed by me.
I'm somebody, even if only one body.

And I wasn't the only one arguing against changing
to curly quotes in messages and Help buffers.

> Even if we might perhaps switch to a different
> way of showing those quotes in Help buffers later
> (e.g. hide the quote chars and rely on different face).

Please don't do that.

> IIRC the core of Paul's argument was that his
> students said `..' quoting style appeared
> old/outdated (basically it looked alien).

(Did anyone actually hear from the students?)
But sure.  Lots of stuff in Emacs looks alien
at first.  A tractor looks alien to someone
who's only used a horse to plough.