Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:20:31 +1200

On 2021-09-17 01:37, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
I just did a search across .el files:
results in 199 lines, a lot of which are "plain" quotations by themselves, e.g.

test/lisp/so-long-tests/so-long-tests.el:
364:  ;; is 'preserved' by default (using both options).
498:         ;; will validate the 'reverted' state against this.  (Note

Which for me is another argument for not changing how `symbols' are
quoted, because then we can't differentiate between these two quite
distinct uses:

If I'm writing plain English and want to quote something for emphasis
I'll use 'single' quotation marks.  If I'm writing elisp comments and
want to refer to a symbol, I'll use `symbol' quoting which gives it
the appropriate face in emacs-lisp-mode.  Personally, I *want* those
two things to look different, because when I see `symbol' highlighted
in a comment it's telling me something about the code, rather than
merely providing emphasis.

As an author I also appreciate the consistency of always using the
same quoting style for symbols within the same file.  Having to switch
between (and think about) two styles within the same file adds some
extra cognitive load (however minor) that seems to me both unnecessary
and in service of an end result which is slightly worse than what we
had to begin with.

-Phil