Re: [External] : Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing fro

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing from autoload object
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:34:54 +0200

>> It is quite likely that you want to use the
>> library if you've looked up the symbol in a
>> *Help* buffer, so why not, indeed, just load
>> it at that point?
>
> It's also quite likely - even more likely IMO
> - that you do NOT want to use (load) the
> library - you just wanted to check the doc of
> something in it.
>
> "Just load it" isn't right.  Let _users_ load
> it when they want to.  That's trivial to do.
>
> If you added an option that does such eager
> "just load" unconditionally would be very
> wrong, IMHO.
>
>> So I think I'd be fine with adding the proposed
>> functionality.  If there are people that don't
>> want this, we can add a user option to switch it off.
>
> That's wrong.  Add an option to switch it
> on, if you want to provide such an optional
> behavior.

:) Yes I agree with you.

That option is in the patch already, and the default is 'nil'. Haven't you
looked at it?

Everything is "as-before" until user actively toggles that option on:

(defcustom help-enable-symbol-autoload nil
  "Perform autoload when documentation is not present in autoload object."
  :type 'boolean
  :group 'help
  :version "28.1")