Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:17:04 +0800

> I'm not against the feature per se, but I'm just puzzled that somebody
> would want this feature.  :-)

Consider scenario when you are editing some-file.el and narrowed the
buffer to a defun A. Then, you need to examine source code of another
function B also defined in some-file.el.

Opening help buffer for B is easy - <F1> f <RET> with point at the B's
call. However, without source code being shown in the help buffer, if I
try to hit s, the narrowing is removed and the point is moved to a
function definition. Not convenient.

Of course, one can create indirect buffer for some-file.el, widen, and
jump to B's definition. However, I personally find help buffer with
source code more comfortable.

Best,
Ihor