Re: Better emoji support

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Better emoji support
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:03:20 +0200

    Eli> I think the presentation of the Emoji appearance for non-Emoji
    Eli> characters followed by VS-16 is less important than being able to
    Eli> display sequences of Emoji characters, so we will be doing OK, IMO, if
    Eli> Emacs 28 only supported the latter.

OK. Whilst updating the emoji sequences support to Unicode-14, I had
to add the following ranges to the 'emoji' script, since otherwise
they donʼt end up getting composed, because Emacs doesnʼt use the
'emoji' font for them. Theyʼre all Emoji_Presentation=No, but
emoji-zwj-sequences.txt modifies them with FE0F

(why didnʼt they just change them to Emoji_Presentation=Yes? I see
very little consistency between similar codepoints that nonetheless
have different Emoji_Presentation values)

(#x26F9 #x26F9 emoji)
(#x2764 #x2764 emoji)
(#x1f3cb #x1f3cc emoji)
(#x1f3f3 #x1f3f4 emoji)
(#x1f441 #x1f441 emoji)
(#x1f575 #x1f575 emoji)

So we get to pick our poison: complete consistency with the
Emoji_Presentation property from emoji-data.txt, or having complete
coverage for emoji-zwj-sequences.txt. Eli? (Iʼll admit to having a
slight preference for the latter, given that I find Emoji_Presentation
to be somewhat arbitrary for quite a few codepoints)

Robert