Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:01:22 +0200

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Consider scenario when you are editing some-file.el and narrowed the
>> buffer to a defun A. Then, you need to examine source code of another
>> function B also defined in some-file.el.
>>
>> Opening help buffer for B is easy - <F1> f <RET> with point at the B's
>> call. However, without source code being shown in the help buffer, if I
>> try to hit s, the narrowing is removed and the point is moved to a
>> function definition. Not convenient.
>
> I'm not arguing against the new feature here, but is the above a bug?
>
> It seems to me that `help-view-source' should respect the users
> narrowing, for example by querying to open a new indirect buffer or
> something in that case.

Is that a bug in my patch or in the original help functionality?

I am not working with files buffers if they are open. I insert file from the
disk, at least I hope that is the way how insrt-file-content works, into a
temporary buffer, and I work solely in that temporary buffer, when I am done I
copy buffer-string into the help buffer.

Otherwise if it does screw up user's narrowing, than it is a bug, at least
not-intended behaviour. I would than appreciate a tip what is the cause so I can
fix it.