Re: Cleaning up rcirc

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Cleaning up rcirc
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 20:52:33 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Philip,

> AFAICS, auto-reconnect is triggered when the process sentinel for a
> server receives "deleted\n" but it's only tried once, right?  I think
> it would make sense to run reconnect from a timer trying again every
> `rcirc-reconnect-delay' seconds (probably with a minimum of 10 seconds
> or so) because if something's wrong (broken connection) it might take
> a bit longer before reconnect will work.

I can report that with your new option and

  (setq rcirc-reconnect-delay 10
        rcirc-reconnect-attempts 10)

rcirc successfully reconnected to libera.chat when they had to restart
all services after a system upgrade.

However, irc.gitter.im again broke at some point in time and did not
reconnect.  In the server buffer, there's just

  01:23 !!! irc.gitter.im: connection broken by remote peer (closed)

A manual /reconnect worked fine.

Bye,
Tassilo