Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 23:08:32 +0100

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> We can just start slowly and see whether any problems occur.

> The main point here is to be able to put things that are in core into
> ELPA, too.

Right.  And so if this is the goal (and given that I also agree to
"start slow"), why not have more :core ELPA packages?
Say subr-x.el, as an example.  It has no dependencies.  Why
not make it a :core package right now?  Then other ELPA packages
could just rely on it.  Or pp.el, or any other util-rich package which
has no dependencies.

This seems more in line with current Emacs development and would
it not basically solve the same problem, just sectioning it by domain
instead?  It would have the added (big) benefit that you only have
one copy of each definition, not two (in core and in compat.el).

João Távora