Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 23:34:55 +0100

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:26 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> (And we certainly don't want to take on the maintenance burden of
> >> writing subr-x in such a way that it's backwards-compatible.)
> >
> > Then the same problem will happen when you copy these functions
> > into compat.el. Unless you do what Stefan says, and rename them.
>
> No, the same problem doesn't exist in compat.el.  Philip's package
> doesn't redefine functions in that way.

I see (I think).  Then the :core packages using the subr-x functions
must deal with slightly different specifications (if the 25.1 version indeed
isn't the same as the 28.1 version).  You called this bug-compatibility a while
ago. So is this a lesser-of-two-evils situation? Is it better to break the ELPA
usage this way then to break the libraries in core Emacs 25.1 as in your
example?

And which functions are we talking about again? Or were you just
speculating about possibilities?

João