Re: [ELPA] New package: ERC

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: ERC
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 19:56:30 -0400

Emanuel Berg via General discussion about ERC writes:

> Corwin Brust wrote:
>
>> I think there are several reasons why it makes sense to
>> place a core package also in ELPA.
>
> OK _also_ in ELPA. So people don't have to opt-in to get
> it. Good.

Yes.

>> In this case, I see a bunch of benefits; I find these three
>> most exciting [...]
>>
>> 1. Getting new ERC versions from ELPA means easier, more
>>    rapid access to fixes and new features. [...]
>>
>> 2. Releasing ERC more frequently can improve ERC's quality.
>>    [...]
>>
>> 3. Shorter development cycles will make hacking on ERC more
>>    fun. [...]
>
> OK, so you want to decouple it from the Emacs wheel which
> spins slower ...
>
> I wonder tho if people who are into that kind of speed aren't
> already downloading the latest Emacs available to compile
> locally anyway ... ? Don't they get the latest ERC then
> as well?

The reasoning here is that building and installing ERC is considerably
easier and faster than that of all of Emacs, and it's convenient to be
able to get latest features of ERC with a simple M-x package-install.
For instance on a cheap/small VM, I'd rather install whatever Emacs
version comes with the distro as opposed to building my own, but still
be able to use the latest version of ERC conveniently, from GNU ELPA.

> Or does the "ELPA ERC" wheel (is it predicted to) spin faster
> than that as well? Or even faster?
>
> But I don't really care as long as it is built-in as well.
> More roads, more traffic, no matter the opposite being claimed
> multiple times all falsely.

To be clear, ERC will continue to be included and developed in Emacs
core and there are no plans for changing that.  This is only in
addition to that.