Re: Compressed *.el files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compressed *.el files
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 18:53:51 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:19:40 +0000
>
> > The function comp-el-to-eln-rel-filename is capable of processing
> > compressed *.el.gz files, which is of course needed for working
> > correctly in an installed Emacs.  However, when it sees a file whose
> > name ends in .gz, it invokes the function md5_gz_stream, which is only
> > defined if Emacs was built with zlib.  Does this have some fallback
> > (which I'm missing ATM) for when Emacs was built without zlib, or do
> > we need to add something there?
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> good point, I guess we should require zlib for
> --with-native-compilation.  Is this problematic?

I don't know if it's problematic.  A build without zlib still could
use native-compilation, they should just disable compression of the
*.el files at "make install" time.  So requiring zlib could be too
drastic.

I will make the changes to fail native compilation if the *.el files
are compressed, but zlib isn't available, and will write up something
regarding the installation in that case.