Re: Confusing doc string of list-or-string at point

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confusing doc string of list-or-string at point
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:33:28 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:11:45 +0300
>
> >   Like `thing-at-point-bounds-of-list-at-point', but also
> >   prefer to find of any enclosing string."
> >
> > "Prefer to find of" is clearly a typo of sorts, but I don't have a
> > clear idea what you wanted to say there.  The same problem is with the
> > NEWS entry.
>
> I tried to copy the meaning of the arg NO-SYNTAX-CROSSING of 'up-list'
> that uses such words in the docstring:
>
>   If NO-SYNTAX-CROSSING is non-nil (as it is interactively), prefer
>   to break out of any enclosing string instead of moving to the
>   end of a list broken across multiple strings.
>
> The idea is that when this arg is non-nil, and point is inside a string,
> then 'up-list' prefers to move out of string, instead of moving out
> of parentheses.

I understand the documentation of NO-SYNTAX-CROSSING, which talks
about "breaking out of string".  But I still don't understand what you
meant by "prefer to find of string".

If the list is enclosed in a string, does it mean this will return the
string, not the list?  IOW, what will it return in these two cases:

  (foo "bar baz" quux)
  "foo (bar baz) guux"