RE: [External] : Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 00:16:32 +0000

> I Cc'ed Drew to see if he is interested in cooperating.

tl;dr More or less passively, sure.
I'm not going to go to bat for it or overhaul it.
Been there; tried that.

___

All of my code is GPL, and I've signed Emacs/FSF
papers.  I've said many times that any of it can
be used in any way by Emacs.

I've proposed many of the individual features
to Emacs dev.  The code is one thing; the ideas
behind it are another - there are multiple ways
to implement the latter (or similar).  I don't
care to re-implement, myself, and I have no
special desire to "own" any of it.

The main (probably unconscious) uptake of the
ideas has been from 3rd-party libraries such
as Helm (aka Anything), Ivy, etc. implementing
features that Icicles originally introduced
(typically long ago).  Vanilla Emacs hasn't
been much interested, IMO.
___

I don't really understand what "NonGnu" means,
though I've scanned emails that mention it.
There's nothing non-GNU about my code, AFAIK.
But what's in a name? ;-)
___

My libraries that have a Version # of 0 do so
because I didn't want to be bothered to update
that field for no special reason, whenever any
"version" (date) of the library could be used.
I don't feel strongly about this; that's just
the reason I did that.
___

I don't use GIT to manage my code.  I just post
updates to EmacsWiki.  Nearly all of my code
used to be on MELPA, but they stopped pulling
from Emacs Wiki (my pages on the wiki are
locked to all but the wiki admins, FWIW).

I've been clear that I have no problem with
someone mirroring any of my code from the wiki
to GIT repositories or whatever.  I think at
least some of the libraries have been mirrored.
___

I don't have a lot of time to devote to helping
with any mirroring and such.  I intend to keep
maintaining my code on EmacsWiki, when I make
changes to it.
___

As for overlap or redefinition of vanilla
constructs: yes, that's no doubt a problem if
someone expects to somehow integrate it with
Emacs.  Loading some libraries redefines
vanilla code.  Users of the code need to know
that.

Most often a redefinition is because either
(1) I think my definition is better (a
replacement) or (2) my definition provides
compatibility with multiple Emacs versions.
Or both at the same time.  For integration
with Emacs, changes for #2 aren't needed.
___

Thank you for your suggestion.  I don't expect
anything to come of it, frankly.  But anyone
interested is welcome to reuse any bits of my
code, or to look to it for ideas/inspiration
when writing other code.
___

I do have one library, zones.el, in GNU Elpa,
thanks to Stefan M kindly having put it there
and updated it a few times with patches I've
sent him by email.  I have a much more recent
version of that library locally, but I haven't
had time to finish updating it to externalize.