Re: Emacs default bindings

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs default bindings
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 02:49:47 +0300

On 28.09.2021 02:40, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

Unless anybody has strong objections, I'll flip the default tomorrow.

I still think the default should only be flipped for prog-mode.

When writing prose, it does not help to highlight the parens, in fact it
is distracting.

We've had a couple of responses like that.

But one asked for being able to disable it locally (which we now can), and another later changed their mind.

Perhaps you are in the minority?

We could flip it on universally, and then later change the behavior in text modes if we get some more negative feedback.

As for how to do it -- maybe with a variable show-paren-global-modes. Semantics similar to font-lock-global-modes, but using 'derived-mode-p', I guess.