Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:26:39 +0100

> Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> writes:
>
>> Won't this break a ton of basic tooling for locating things, if the
>> symbol in the file is not the actual symbol?
>
> Yes, it'll break a lot of tooling.

What "lot of tooling"?  I don't remmeber seeing a list.  If you have
one, I'd like to see it, so that I can work on it, eventually.

> My argument was: If we want to add something along these lines, it
> should be more like Common Lisp's package system.  (Not that that's a
> perfect system -- I wouldn't want to add it wholesale, but it's pretty
> good, and we could take the good parts.)

Yes, I concur.  I would have liked CL packages too.  I've been waiting
for those to "magically" appear in Elisp ever since I started using
Emacs.  What I don't understand is how Shorthands is making that any
more difficult.  If anything, I would cautiously suspect that it might
make it _easier_.

> And, yes, doing that would also require a lot of tooling changes,
> which I'd want to see happen before doing it.

Then get to work! :-)

João