Re: [RFC] MIME attachments for comint

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: [RFC] MIME attachments for comint
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 20:22:27 +0200

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 at 11:29, Robin Tarsiger <rtt@dasyatidae.com> wrote:

> Augusto Stoffel wrote:
>> The following example
>> renders like this:
>>      A     1.0
>>      AA    10.0
>>      AAA   100.0
>> Is there any other syntax for text alignment in HTML?
>
> There's the pre-CSS align="right" property style. Also valign for
> vertical-align.

This also doesn't seem to work with shr.

> I notice that shr doesn't have anything close to a full CSS parser
> to start with, which is understandable given the complexity of such
> a thing. However, note that in a full document, it's also reasonable
> in an HTML context to do something like

>   table.foo td.bar { text-align: right }
>   table.foo td.baz { text-align: center }
>   <!-- ... -->
> class="baz">XII</td></tr>
> class="baz">VII</td></tr>
>
> where the alignments cannot be inferred from a purely local
> traversal. I don't know how many people do this, but I do when
> I'm outputting HTML tables with known record formats, because
> it makes it much easier to restyle the types/columns as needed
> (that being the purpose of CSS in the first place).
>
> I'm curious what your likely HTML sources are going to be for this,
> since if you try to subset the above at all then what you need to
> support becomes very dependent on what the generators are like.

Yes, the most obvious use-case here would be a Pandas dataframe (or the
equivalent from any other statistical package).  In the Pandas case, the
HTML looks pretty much like what you posted.

But the capability to right-align is a somewhat separate question from
the notation used to chose it.  If shr could render table with right
alignment, one could at least do some ad-hoc stuff for the main cases.