Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:42:54 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 11:17:32 -0700
>
> Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > With this patch, we can move directories into new directories if we
> > explicitly end the new name with a trailing slash.
> >
> > So `/new_name` renames `/old_name` to `/new_name`, while `/new_name/`
> > renames `/old_name` to `/new_name/old_name`.
>
> Isn't that backwards-incompatible?

It may or may not be, but I'd suggest first to have a reproducible
recipe that demonstrates the problem.  Because I don't think I
understand what this is trying to solve.

In any case, testing the last character for a literal slash is not
TRT; we have functions for distinguishing between a file's name as
directory and the directory's file name.